Cyndy Speaking at NCTE Conference
Presentation Topics for Adults
- Everyday Superheroes: How to Mold At-Risk Teens into Success Stories: Cyndy’s high school English teacher saved her from suicide, undoing 16 years of trauma with empathy and public validation. New research on D.T.D.—Developmental Trauma Disorder—proves that one caring adult can change the course of a traumatized teen’s life. In this groundbreaking presentation, Cyndy shares her story, the research on D.T.D., and exactly how adults can counteract childhood trauma and help kids heal.
- Voice & Choice in the Classroom: Engaging Hard-to-Reach Students: This presentation is for those working with the neediest kids: at-risk, ESL, McKinney-Vento, and adjudicated youth; kids struggling with depression, motivation, and gaps in learning. When we validate students and give them choices instead of consequences, behavioral issues cease; engagement and participation levels rise. Participants leave with a toolbox of strategies for achieving these goals.
- Real Gangsters Read Books: Cyndy knows how to convince tough kids that books work better than drugs. With resources ranging from scientific research to feedback from kids, she shares the tools that net notes like this one, from 16-year-old Dabari: “I used to hate reading. I mean, hate. Now I get yelled at to put my book away in class.” Audiences are empowered to revolutionize their reading instruction.
- Broken Girl to Bad*ss: A Roadmap Through the Decades: As thousands of women come forward with #MeToo stories of sexual assault, Cyndy stands out as a beacon of hope and healing. At age 13, she took a stance against the family that was abusing her. Since then, Cyndy has taught herself to conquer the legacy that abusers dish out. In sharing what she’s learned, Cyndy empowers others to shake off the bad guys and become a lady bad*ss.
- Teen Speak 101: How to Connect with Generation Z: Between gender pronouns, generalized anxiety and digital addiction, today’s teens speak a new language…and their ever-present earbuds make it obvious they don’t want to hear ours. In this presentation, Cyndy offers simple, effective tricks for breaking the communication barrier and connecting with Generation Z.
- Get a Kid Un-Bullied with 10 Quick Questions: With empathy and insight, Cyndy ushers participants back to the child’s reality, a place where bullies loom large and the need to be liked is paramount. She shares the ten questions that guide bullied kids out of the victim role and into a power position. With strategies for both the playground and the virtual world, participants learn exactly what to say to get a kid un-bullied.